Thursday, January 24, 2013

Orzo w/Roasted Vegetables

Anyone who has read this blog for any period of time knows my family and I like our vegetables roasted (click here, here, or here for examples). So when I came across a recipe online for a mixture of orzo and roasted vegetables, I was pretty excited. I quickly browsed the recipe, then moved on to other things, forgetting to bookmark the site to be able to go back later for a better look.



A few days later, I tried to find the recipe again, but to this day, I still cannot find the original recipe that I wanted to try. So I did the best thing I could; I headed to Whole Foods, bought what looked good, and came home and started throwing everything in the skillet. The end result came out pretty tasty, and the best compliment I got was the empty pan left on the stove.

Although the vegetables in dish are technically not roasted, they sure taste like they have been. I sauteed the vegetables in a little olive oil, adding them at different times to ensure they all finished cooking at the same time. Once the vegetables were cooked, I added a little soy sauce and balsamic vinegar, then stirred in the orzo. Paired with a little chicken and mushroom sauce, this pasta and vegetable dish definitely hit the spot.


Orzo w/Roasted Vegetables

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 large golden beet, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 large leek, sliced thinly
8 oz mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 large leaves Swiss chard, cut into 1/4-inch ribbons
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp Siracha hot sauce
1/4 tsp black pepper
12 oz orzo, cooked according to package directions

Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain well and keep hot. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potato and beet. Saute 3 minutes. Push beets and sweet potato to side of pan. Add leeks and cook 3 minutes more.





Stir leeks into sweet potato mixture and push to side of pan. Add remaining tablespoon oil and mushrooms to skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and starting to brown.






Gently stir in the garlic and Swiss chard. Toss and let cook 30 seconds. Pour in soy sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, and pepper, stirring to coat. Add drained orzo to pan.






Toss all ingredients together. Serve immediately as a side or main dish.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...