Monday, April 1, 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Bread--Gadgets Are Included #1

If you were to look in my kitchen, you would find a lot of gadgets and utensils. I have a lot, and I am always looking for new places to store them and new ways to use them. That's what this new feature is about. The first Monday of each month I will be featuring a different gadget or utensil from my kitchen, sharing a recipe I make using that gadget, and asking you to link up recipes that use the gadget of the month.

To get this kicked off, I'm going to start with one of the gadgets I use the most--a whisk. I have a couple, but my favorite is my large balloon whisk. It gets used for everything from making gravy to making bread. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite uses for my whisk is to make quick breads. A single bowl, some basic ingredients, and about 45 minutes in the oven to have a loaf of fresh banana or zucchini bread, all without having to hunt down any of the attachments for the mixer.



One of my favorite quick breads to make is lemon poppy seed bread. This lemon poppy seed bread has a light texture and a bright citrus flavor. Topped off with a little glaze, it is perfect for a light breakfast when paired with a cup of coffee.


Lemon Poppy Seed Bread

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup lemon juice
Zest of 2 lemons
Yellow food coloring (optional)
2 tsp poppy seeds

For glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk or lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place the sugar, eggs, oil, yogurt, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, and food coloring in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.




Add flour mixture and stir just until combined. Mix in poppy seeds. Pour batter into greased 5x9 loaf pan.






Bake in 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack until completely cool. In small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk or lemon juice. Drizzle over cooled loaf.






Now it's your turn. Link up any recipe you want that requires a whisk to make. Don't forget to stop back the first Monday of next month when the featured gadget will be the immersion blender.


The Official Chef's Day Off Link Party Rules
1. Post a link to any recipe post on your blog (not your main page)
2. Follow me on Facebook or Twitter or GFC (optional, but courteous)
3. Link back to my blog by using the button on my side bar (optional, but courteous)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting~ I love my whisk and use it all the time:) Thanks for starting this fun gadget party! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! I think above all the dishes are so much yummy. For made those dishes which gadgets are more effective can you explain me ?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...